kari's Reviews > The Tear Collector

Sep 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, ya
Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This is a tough book to reivew as I found the protagonist so unlikeable that it was hard for me to hope that she'd get what she wanted, a human life. Having read all of her story, I'm still not sure I understand exactly what she is or what her family is. Is her great-grandmother, the Veronica, who was alive at the time of Jesus? So is she, Cassandra, an immortal?
I get that they are some kind of vampiric-type creature that survives on human sadness, fear, all dark emotions, but I didn't quite understand why she needed to sex up her boyfriends(she's had a bunch) in order to break their hearts. And she says she's an actual virgin so whatever 'servicing' she does is, thankfully, left to the imagination, but why is this her behavior? She gets no enjoyment from her relationships, so I had trouble understanding the sexual aspect of it.
When she meets Scott, he's different. Why? How? Simply because he isn't a jock or because his feelings are deeper, easier for her to access?
There was so much not really explained although I did like the character of Scott.
Cassandra is expected to mate with Alexei, so the older generation will give up their power. Again, why?
Disappointing ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tear Collector.