Andreea's Reviews > Trick of the Light

F 50x66
Sep 06, 09

bookshelves: 11th-grade, reviewed
Read in September, 2009

I've been waiting for this book for months. When I heard that the unbelievably awesome, sarcastic, and quirky Rob Thurman (Robyn, not Robert) was taking a break from the Cal Landros series, I died. Then she announced she had a book coming out in the meantime, and I lived again.

I love everything about Rob Thurman's books - characters, style, original plot, eye-popping "whaaaat?" moments. It's a hard call to make, but I have to say I liked the Cal Leandros series more than this one just a tiny bit more. Trick of the Light is set in a similar setting: dark part of the world away from the eyes of your precious normal people. What's really cool is that it takes place at the exact same time as the Cal Leandros series, just in Las Vegas instead of New York. We even get several mentions of the infamous Robin Goodfellow from the Leandros series.

The main character, Trixa Iktomi (yes, I blinked too at her name) thrives on killing demons. Except for the sexy and powerful ones that can be useful in a tight spot. You've also got angels, but the line dividing good and evil isn't so clear cut in this book. Shattering conventions - mmm, I like that. Trixa is helped along the way by Leo of the long hair, Zeke of the psychological defect, Griffin of the literal empathy, and occasionally Solomon of the dubious motives. Eli proved to be useful too. On the front cover of the book, a comment mentions a "surprise twist that will make you blink". I was watching very closely for that twist, determined to see it before it came. I was especially perceptive in this book, smugly catching three tiny twists long before they came: first the raven named Lenore, never seen in the same room as Leo, then Solomon's real motives, and an unlikely couple. And not unlikely for the obvious reason (I'm being vague because I don't want to put a spoiler alert). And I say they were tiny twists because they were nothing compared to the HUGE, UNFORSEEABLE twist near the end. I actually had to read that part three times, then make sure I didn't forget how to read English for a second. Just - gah.

And of course, this was all packed in with Rob Thurman's trademark snark. Love her snark. Now it's back to waiting for the next Cal Leandros novel. And perhaps the next Trister novel too? (hope)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trick of the Light.