Scott's Reviews > The Cry of the Icemark

The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill

Oct 01, 09

bookshelves: market-research, unfinished
Read in October, 2009

From the outset, this story seems contrived and not very deeply thought out. The story begins with a detailed history-book style narrative of the kingdom of Icemark (breaking the vaunted "show, don't tell" rule), and then moves on into some very "staged" plot devices. Example: In the second chapter, the "werewolf" our heroine has captured and brought back to her father's castle (Aren't werewolves supposed to change back into human form at some point? If not, it's not "were," it's just a "wolf.") announces to everyone in the hall that he is king of the werewolves. (Seems to me that if you were a king in the clutches of your enemies, you might not want to make a big announcement of that fact.) I didn't read much further than that. Because this story is quite transparent and contrived, it might make a nice introduction for very young readers into the realm of fantasy literature - but older readers and adults are likely to be bored with it pretty quickly.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cry of the Icemark.