Jon's Reviews > The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

Sep 05, 09

This one lives up to Michael Connelly's reputation for being able to write an authoritative and exciting page-turner. Thoroughly grounded in vivid and trustworthy detail, this is about yet another serial killer who has murdered untold numbers of beautiful young women and who has flown beneath police radar for years. Hero reporter Jack McEvoy quickly figures out that he exists, while the killer simultaneously figures out that McEvoy is on to him. Each hunts the other with no letup of tension. The FBI is heavily involved, as is McEvoy's old flame, agent Rachel Walling from the earlier book The Poet. Lot's of high-tech computer wizardry which all sounded authentic to me. Only one note struck me as false (I thought: ha! something I know more about than Connelly does!) in relation to FBI activity, but when I checked with my wife (who should know), she assured me that that absolutely could happen. So Connelly was ahead of me even there. A very good read. I'm now impatiently looking forward to the next Harry Bosch due out next month.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarecrow.