Raina's Reviews > The Carbon Diaries 2015

The Carbon Diaries 2015 by Saci Lloyd

Sep 15, 2009

bookshelves: feminist, green, not-amerika, realistic, sci-fi, ya
Read in September, 2009

"You never think it's gonna happen to you, but all that pollution and dirty fumes and flights and factories and shit we don't need and suddenly there you are, a stupid girl sitting alone on some steps, waiting to see if your family is ever coming back." (pg. 298)

This one started slow for me. It's in a diary format, with an entry of at least a few words for virtually every day in the year 2015 for a teen in London. It's fascinating as a prediction of how things could really play out if global warming continues to escalate. In this telling, there's a great storm in 2010, and world-wide government is forced to confront the realities of global warming. Great Britain is the first nation to implement carbon rationing.
In concept, it's all very impressive and fascinating. But what I really liked about this is that it's a VERY personal tale of one teen's experience in the midst of this crisis. She has family drama, boy drama, school drama, band drama (her band's called the dirty angels), and when things get really desperate she very realistically puts some of the drama aside to focus on survival. As I said before, there's no real sense of suspense until things start getting really crazy (November or so), but it's really interesting to watch the minute consequences of such major cultural change, as well as the various ways Laura's family members cope with the dramatic effects on their lives. An important book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carbon Diaries 2015.

Quotes Raina Liked

“You never think it's gonna happen to you, but all that pollution and dirty fumes and flights and factories and shit we don't need and suddenly there you are, a stupid girl sitting alone on some steps, waiting to see if your family is ever coming back.”
Saci Lloyd, The Carbon Diaries 2015

Jackie "the Librarian" Yes! Even when the world is falling apart, teenagers are still teenagers, worried about teenage things.

Raina must say, I like the look of the pbk cover better than this hdbk version.

Jackie "the Librarian" The paperback is just available in England, though, not here. :(
Hey, I just noticed there's a sequel, Carbon Diaries 2017, coming out in March. I guess I'd better order it!

Raina lol. yeah, I just sent you a purchase request b/c I noticed here, too!

Raina boo hiss on the pbk not being available, though.

Oh, and another thing that slightly annoyed me about this - Glossary in the back. Wish they'd tell me ahead of time that there is one, I mighta used it. It never occurs to me to look.

Jackie "the Librarian" Yeah! I think glossaries should be in the front, so you know they're there!

Raina Amen, sister!