Crystal's Reviews > Intertwined

Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Apr 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from April 09 to 13, 2010

I am so confused with this book! I actually feel a trend with the books I have selected to read as of late because most have left me with the WTH? feeling.
The story centers around Aden Stone, a boy who has 4 souls trapped inside his body. They have been with him since his birth and because he actually talks to them out loud he is thought to be schizophrenic and placed in several mental institutions. So, his story is wrapped around trying to figure out how to free the souls before he dies, which will be soon since one of the souls can predict another persons death and has shown Aden's his own. That sounds intriguing right, but then you add in every paranormal creature you can think of and throw in certain people who "negate" their powers and it just makes it too overwhelming. I had to reread one paragraph literally 5 times to get the he said, she said, she neutralizes, he neutralizes her, and so on. I have a headache just thinking about it. The beginning started out great actually. It took a while to get used to deciphering all the voices in Aden's head but I thought the whole idea was neat and different. By the time you get used to the voices all of a sudden the story shifts and they stay quiet, which we are told in the beginning that is something they rarely do so what gives?? I liked the voices better than the main characters by the end. Mary Ann the "neutralizer" is way to immature. Even her name grates on my nerves (no offense to any Mary Anns out there, it is just the way she is portrayed). At one point she is actually crushing on a werewolf and she hasn't even seen his face yet. She sleeps (not SLEEPS) with him and cuddles with him. It was really disturbing. Then there is Victoria the token vampire princess and Riley her werewolf bodyguard. The four are "intertwined" around each other in so many different ways that again I know I keep repeating this but it is CONFUSING. I could go on about the story but there are so many twists and turns that confused me that I feel if I write them I will just confuse myself further.
By the end of the story it felt rushed and it looked like a completely different book. She spent too much time on romanticizing her characters and not enough on the actual story. If Showalter would take out a couple of things she would have a decent book.
Oh well I guess I will just have to move on...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intertwined.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am guessing another book I shouldn't bother myself with. Thanks for reading this so that I don't have to:)

Crystal You are welcome lol =) No, don't even bother I think you would throw it across the room!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Is this the same author who writes all the adult smut? I had this on my TBR, but after reading Black Dagerhood, or whatever the hell it was called, I decided that perhaps it would not be a wise choice.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Black Dagerhood - LOL!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather What's so funny? Is that not what its called?

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Shit, Black Dager Brotherhood, excuse me, lol.

Crystal No she writes Smut but a different series. I haven't read her adult books but if they are anything like I will pass.

Crystal LOL! Badnastyicky brotherhood works too =)

message 9: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Heather, take a look at the hunk on the author's GR page. You'll love him, I know it.

Crystal I took a peak at her web blog and she has a different guy every week.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Tatiana wrote: "Heather, take a look at the hunk on the author's GR page. You'll love him, I know it.

Hmmm, aside from the fact that he looks like his is a member of a gang and probably on drugs, he is pretty cute. I would say he should be classified as "dirty hot". The guys that you would do in a given context, but if you saw them in life, would give you pause.