April's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Sep 04, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

I've read all the Harry Potter books, and this one is probably my least favorite. It's hard to make the sixth book of a seven-book series to be really good, though. Each book has its own arc, but the entire series has an even bigger arc that each book has to follow, so in this case, the sixth book not only had to feel complete in its own entirety, but at the same time, it had to ease into the beginning of the climax of the entire series. It's nigh impossible to make a book in that situation really, really good.

And it doesn't help that this book doesn't quite end in the way that, I'm sure, a lot of kids were hoping. Not only is yet another character done away with, but it ends quite abruptly -- there's less of a build up to the climax in this book, I thought. The mission at the end seems to come out of the blue.

Lucky for me, I hadn't finished reading this book when I saw the movie, so there was still that element of surprise for me in the theater. But after the movie, I re-read the book from the beginning and found that they cut out a lot of the really interesting scenes from the book.

Anyway, it does lead nicely to the last book. It just doesn't stand very well on its own.

Finished reading July 3, 2009 or thereabout..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

03/10/2016 marked as: read

Jason I loved Book 6 for the same reasons you didn't, I think. I thought it had a lot of "build" to it and set up the final installment nicely. Also, if you pay close attention to the death scene at the end, the ambiguity of Snape's morality is alluded to rather sneakily!

April I agree about the death scene — after reading Book 7, I saw how beautifully it was done and how pretty much all the scenes with Snape throughout all the books were done in the same way, so that it seems one way before you know who Snape really is and then seems quite another way after we learn the final truth of him. In fact, I think now that Snape was probably the most interesting character of all.

Jason Oh, no doubt. One of the most interesting characters ever, in fact!

April Agreed. Kind of sad Alan Rickman didn't get any nominations for his performance in the movie versions.