Kristy's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Oct 15, 10

Read in October, 2010

Praise the lord and pass the amunition, I am finished with this beast of a book. My brain feels like sludge, I just want to crawl into a hole and forget all that was engrained into my poor head. Why, oh why did I have the noble idea to read such a monster? How am I supposed to rate such s#@$?????
I believe, like some of you that this might have been better had I read it in a class or with a group. Alone it was fingernails to chalkboard miserable.

After reading this, it just makes you feel hopeless.

Hallelujah, it's over. Never again, Orwell.... Never again!

Sidenote: I did a little experiment on facebook about this book... I wrote in my status that I was reading '1984', anybody have any opinions? Almost everyone of the commenters wrote how much they enjoyed this book and how it was one of their favorite books ever. While I am sure that maybe 1 of them was being truthful, I have to doubt atleast half of them..... Now I ask, Why do people lie about certain books? Do they think it makes them look smarter? Cooler? Well-rounded? I just don't get it, if you don't like something you don't like it. It's not neccessary to like it for classic book sake. This might not be making sense to some of you.... maybe you would have to know the people who were commenting, I don't know. But, I am sure all of you have been in a bookstore or talking with a co-worker, etc., and they spout out some well known "hip" book that they just 'adore'. You know this person and it's hard to see them reading period, much less what they are talking about.

I guess my point is, don't be a fake book talker. Like it, Yay. Don't like it, Yay. I'm not going to think less of you for not liking something you "SHOULD" like by literary standards.

Rant over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

10/13/2010 page 99
10/15/2010 page 250
76.0% "almost finished...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael (Tattoogirl Reads) good luck. hopefully you'll enjoy this more than me

Kristy seems like almost everyone else really likes it.... i'm not really feeling it though!

message 3: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Nope I tried it a looooooooooooong time ago and I can honestly say I didn't like it. I think if you read it in a class it must be cool to discuss what happens but by yourself it just kind of sucks.

Kristy Oh. My. God. Does this book ever end?!?!!?!?

Arlene Kristy, you bring up some interesting points about classics and how some people feel the need to "like" these works of literature. I will tell you, there are some classics that just aren't for me. Give me a YA book instead and I'm a happy girl. Not embarrassed to admit that.

However, this book... I gave 4 stars, not because I thought it was up my alley, more like because it left a lasting impression for me.

It really gave me the creeps that somoene over 60+ years ago could draw such a daunting picture of society gone wrong in more ways than one and present it in a way that's almost plausible to the world we live in now with the whole Big Brother/voyeuristic practices that currently exist.

Imagine a society with no existence of privacy, preservation of history, or freedom of thought, words or feelings... is it possible? I sure hope not, but Orwell scared the beejeezuz outta me with his portrayal of a messed up society.

Sorry this book wasn't for you. Personally, I wish I never read it because I don't need more stuff to worry about. LOL

But like you, it did take me a while to get through it, but not because I didn't like it. Small doses worked better for me. hahaha

Sorry for the ramble, but I really see your point about owning the fact if you just don't care for a classic. Own it! :)

Kristy I know what you mean about the lasting impression, it is a truely haunting book. I don't think the book is garbage, it's just not one that I enjoyed reading.
I think it would make a good movie; the story itself was not bad, I think it's his writing style that I just don't like.

I would not recommend this to someone, but on the other hand I would not want to discourage one from reading it.
This might be one of those books i like better in a couple of days... i just finished it this morning!

message 8: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I tried reading this book about 5 times (or more, I lost count to be honest) now and I still haven't been able to finish it. I am going to one day.

Arlene, reading is supposed to be fun. I hate people who act like being a 'good' reader means you should have read Dostojevski, Tolstoj, or Dickens. Preferably at a very young age. Because only then you are also a 'smart' reader.

*eyeroll*

Kristy "I hate people who act like being a 'good' reader means you should have read Dostojevski, Tolstoj, or Dickens. Preferably at a very young age. Because only then you are also a 'smart' reader."

That's what I should have said instead of my rambling review :)

Arlene So true! Reading is suppose to be fun.

My reading preferences change from time to time. Sometimes I'm in a mood for a grown up fiction, most of the time it's YA, never in the mood for a mystery but I will admit that I read classics because I almost feel like I "have" to... being an avid reader. People know I read alot, but when they ask me... have you read War & Peace? I mumble no. What about Little Women... more mumbling... not yet, but I have it on my shelf! Have you read all of Jane Austen's works?? My response is Persuassion was great! Then they end with... well what DO you read? Ugh!!

So I guess I try to read about 5 or so classics a year to build my credibility as an avid reader...lame reasoning... I know, but I'm just being honest.

Kristy same here Arlene!! Some of them turn out to be suprisingly good though, you really never know.

I think i'm on book 104 this year and I believe 15-20 have been classics or non-fiction. I believe you can't just stick to one genre or you will get bored!

message 12: by Val (new)

Val i think some books are out of place past it's time. i had to read it in high school around 1984...and at that time it was thought provoking...now, looking back 25 years later...well...

Morgan F I've read 1984 twice, once with a class, and I'm glad I read it. I didn't exactly enjoy it, as a matter of fact I may be mentally scarred, but I thought it was an extremely valuable read.

I'm still in school, so I have to read about a classic a month, and I'm kind of glad the teachers make me read them. Although I don't always enjoy the books, I usually always find the value in them in the end.

Susan Stack Look. Just because someone says that they like/enjoyed a well known book doesn't mean that they are lying just to sound smart and well-read. Maybe they did genuinely enjoy it. Obviously contrary to your sadly deluded beliefs, just because their opinion is different from yours doesn't make them a liar. And if you hated this book THAT much, then why did you continue to read it? So that when people referenced it you would seem smart and well-read, when in reality you forced yourself through it for the sake of fitting in with literary society?

message 15: by Roos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roos It's not true that just because you did not like this book, the rest of the world hates it too. I don't think that a lot of people say they like certain books just because they think they should. Have you ever thought of the possibility that all those other people truly liked the book and that maybe people can have other opinions than you do? I honnestly think it was an amazing, interesting, exciting and well-written novel, which I enjoyed a lot.

message 16: by Abdul (new) - added it

Abdul Kristy, I read your rant of a review up there and looked very hard for some reason you didn't like the book. Why do you type something that long without saying nothing about the material you read? For instance, what did you think about doublethink, newspeak, the constant 'wars' between Oceania and some other country. Do you think there are warnings in there that is relevant for us today?

Felicia Peterson I think that the book was a little hard to read too. But I think mostly it was hard because of the story. I got scared for real. When you put this story into today’s society, it is really scary. I read on a picture somewhere that 1984 wasn’t meant to be an instruction for the future. And with that I agree totally. Like you wrote, it made you feel hopeless. That’s true, but everyone can do something for the future and of course that is not with the book 1984 as a base. I think humans should be smarter than that, and mostly they are. They dare to express how the world should be treated and not. And no need to say that the freedom of speech is important for our future.

Kedar Totally agree about the book being bad. Like some other commenter said, I don't see the need to use a story as a backdrop to Orwell's prophecies. After a while, Big Brother was too much and apart from the general concept of how intrusive governments can be, the rest of the prose was utterly lost on me. Also agree about people faking their book ratings. They think it's probably cool, but they're best left to themselves.