Sally's Reviews > The Star Of Kazan

The Star Of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: 1900s-10s, austria, germany, orphans-and-similar, childrens, mystery, horsies, happily-ever-after, boarding-school, eva-ibbotson
Read from October 13 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

lol, this book has the most amazing set of shelves ever XD Ahh, but it was just so amazing and rich and full and everything that is wonderful! Another gem from Eva Ibbotson - yet another to add to my favourites list! Though I think Journey to the River Sea is still my #1... as much as I love her pretty YA stories, I do tend to enjoy her slightly younger ones a bit more. The lack of romance helps ;) and it's the way she writes - so many witty lines that make you laugh out loud, so much cleverness! It's almost as if she was not writing for children, but for adults who are still young at heart, who want to read childrens' books without going right back to the juniors. There are certainly many lines in her books whose humour would sail right over a ten-year-old's head.

Anyway, this one! The story is charming - Annika was found in a church when only a few days old, and up until the age of twelve is raised by the cook and housekeeper in the house of three professors (who reminded me a bit of the professors from Ball of Fire). Then one day her long-lost mother returns to claim her... and take her back home - from Vienna, all the way up to northern Germany, not too far from Berlin. I was dreadfully sad when Annika left, not only because you just KNOW things aren't going to be perfect in her new life, but because I had fallen in love with Vienna so much. It was so beautifully described and made me want to go back in time to visit it at the turn of the last century, to see the famous Lipizzaner horses at the Spanish riding school, to ride the big wheel... I suppose I could still go to Vienna now (and I do mean to one day!), but the city is described so beautifully and so in THAT time - Emperor Franz Joseph is still alive and everything is so cheerful and musical and lovely. And Germany by contrast is so cold and bleak and unhappy that it was terrible when she had to go there. And leaving behind the dear professors and Ellie and Sigrid who had raised her, for her snobby mother and dreadful half-brother! Although I did quite love Hermann challenging Loremarie's father to a duel after Loremarie had publicly slandered Annika! But for what he did to poor Hector the dog I could never forgive him.

(view spoiler)

Okay, this review is as long as the book itself :/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Star Of Kazan.

10/13/2011 page 17
4.0% ""At nine she could cut cucumbers so thinly that you could read a newspaper through the slices" XD"
10/13/2011 page 42
11.0% ""and though it would have been nice to hit Loremarie, there was always a fuss at home when she hit people." - hee :D"
10/13/2011 page 43
11.0% "Eva Ibbotson's books are always a gold mine of quotes! "Making an apple strudel on your own is a bit like climbing Everest without oxygen.""
10/13/2011 page 146
38.0% "I miss Vienna :("
10/13/2011 page 286
74.0% "dammit I need sleep :( I want to finish this NOW omg it's so enthralling!!"
show 1 hidden update…