Lorenzo Berardi's Reviews > Who Was David Weiser?

Who Was David Weiser? by Paweł Huelle

Sep 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: polish, 2009, a-my-italian-library, a-my-english-library
Read in November, 2009

Another book about the Gdansk / Danzig region I read by coincidence in the same days I put my eyes on the pages of "Dog Years" by Gunther Grass.

"Who Was David Weiser" takes place between the 1950s and the 1970s with a massive use of flashback. It was uneasy to get into the mood of this book, but then I have to say how Pawel Huelle writes like no other novelist I read so far.
Sometimes I appreciate his style sometimes not (the metatextual references to readers, chosen terms and hypothetic editor are out of place), but as a matter of fact the novelist is able to create an interesting and unconventional story out the mysterious events of a distant summer.

The character of Dawid Weiser is one of the most enygmatic I ever found in literature. Huelle doesn't tell us that much about him, creating a feeling of constant expectation about Weiser all through the book.

Besides this book is about childhood and the process of recollecting its faded memories: a topic I always liked a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Was David Weiser?.