Madeline's Reviews > The Godfather

111921
Sep 04, 2009

bookshelves: the-list
Read in January, 2007

New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.

02/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by El (new) - rated it 5 stars

El That's the spirit!

Don't forget to add that you will be subjected to a good beating by your husband once in a while.

Madeline Sure, if you marry a low-level dick like Connie's husband, who I'll remind you was not part of The Family.

There's a part in the book when Sonny is trying to get his father to intervene between Connie and her husband, and he asks the Don if he's ever beaten his wife. The Don replies, "My wife has never given me a reason to beat her."

So there you go.

message 3: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean so uh what's the list?

Madeline 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I've been working on it for about five years now.

message 5: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken Moten I have always been afraid of reading this book, because I saw the movies first and I've about the reputation the book had of filler and crazy sub-plot. The movie is my favorite of all time though. Your advice *kisses Madeline's imaginary hand* Goodreads Godmother?

Madeline I really should put this on my The Movie is Better shelf, now that I think about it. It's true, there are a lot of weird subplots in the book (such as the infamous saga of Lucy Mancini's wide-set vagina - I wish I was making any part of that sentence up), and the movie is brilliant. The one advantage to reading the book is that you can get everything covered in the movies (such as Vito Corleone's rise as the Don) without having to sit through Godfather III.

message 7: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken Moten Madeline wrote: "I really should put this on my The Movie is Better shelf, now that I think about it. It's true, there are a lot of weird subplots in the book (such as the infamous saga of Lucy Mancini's wide-set vagina - I wish I was making any part of that sentence up), and the movie is brilliant. The one advantage to reading the book is that you can get everything covered in the movies (such as Vito Corleone's rise as the Don) without having to sit through Godfather III. "

message 8: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean Ken wrote: "Oh, this really hurts. The Godfather is my all time movie, but I know if I read the book it will all be ruined (The Matrix all over again). Just isn't fair. Also I agree about Godfather III, though it did have that one scene of the religious festival/hit that I liked (it was very well done), that was the only good scene in that movie."

that's harsh man, it's not a bad movie, in fact if the name "godfather" wasn't attached i'm sure people would love it. it's a good movie, just not as good as the others...