Miriam's Reviews > The Goblin and the Empty Chair

The Goblin and the Empty Chair by Mem Fox

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: picture
Recommended to Miriam by: Abigail A.
Read on July 26, 2011

In a land far away, there lived a goblin who had once seem himself reflected in a still pond. His reflection had frightened him so much, he decided to hide his face from the world forever, so as not to frighten anyone else... and spent many years alone.

The accompanying illustrations have even more pathos: the goblin is happily gamboling along picking flowers when he is confronted with his own hideousness. The blossoms fall to the ground as he claps his hands over his face. He stumbles homes with his eyes shut, one hand outstretched. Even when he is alone in the following years, he hides his face from himself and from the natural world, as if he were too ugly for even the sun and trees to tolerate. This is a pretty freakin' sad story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goblin and the Empty Chair.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma If you're considering more Mem Fox, you might want to consider: Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge--one of my fav picture books.

message 2: by Miriam (last edited Jul 27, 2011 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam Thanks! I was looking at Tough Boris but will try that instead. I got this because I like the Dillons (not as much here as usual), but I did enjoy her Guess What? as well.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma The Dillons are incredible; they're nice people as well.

Miriam They must be! I read an article years ago about how they work on projects together, passing the art back and forth until they feel it is finished. I can't imagine getting along with anyone well enough to do with happily.