Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > One Woolly Wombat

One Woolly Wombat by Rod Trinca

U_50x66
Like many of the early 1980s Australian children's books this is over-the-top Australian. I'm putting this book in the same category as Possum Magic, Wombat Stew, Sail Away The Ballad of Skip and Nell, Edward the Emu, etc. These books celebrated that, except for some notable exceptions, Australians were for the first time able to share Aussie picture books with their kids. But by the same token I don't think this is purely a celebration of Australian stories. I'm sure the export market for cute Australian animals was a huge contributing factor to these stories being produced - particularly after the success of the "throw another shrimp on the barbie" tourist campaign in the US starting in 1984.
It is good to see local stories reflected in the what you see and read - a summer Christmas, Australian animals, etc. But lots of times these books feel a little self-conscious and portraying a cliched view (ala Crocodile Dundee, and more recently the Crocodile Hunter), rather than truely reflecting Australian life.

But anyway off that rant.

This is a cute counting book - with beautiful illustrations featuring Australian animals, plants and landscapes.

Something unusual is that this book keeps counting after it reaches ten - hitting the heady heights of 14!

When ever I see the Goanna Recipes book in the '9' illustration - I always think they are recipes for eating goanna, rather than recipes for what a goanna would like to eat!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Woolly Wombat.