Lori's Reviews > Kafka on the Shore

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Mar 23, 15

Read in March, 2015

I read part of this book a few years ago, and for some reason didn't finish it. It stayed with me, though, but not in a useful way; I knew I'd read a Murakami book that had a young man, a journey, jazz and classical music, and something strange with cats. (I know... could be a number of them!) The feeling of it stayed with me, and I hoped I'd find my way back to it; I knew I'd recognize it if I ever did.

After reading 1Q84 and Norwegian Wood, I wanted to stay in Murakami land so I opened one of the several in my Kindle . . . and it was this one, the one I'd read before. I read it on vacation in Colombia, a more jarringly different context from the world of this book you couldn't imagine. But it kept me pulled into the world of the story and I read it in a couple of days. Nakata and Hoshino, such a great pair; Kafka and Oshima, strange together in their own ways; and then the weirdnesses of mackerel falling out of the sky, and the real horror of Johnny Walker, who I never did really understand.

I never really know what to say about Murakami; so many elements recur, so many kinds of characters appear and circle through, but for me what lasts is the mood, the feelings he makes me feel. Since I like the mood and appreciate the various feelings, I'm a Murakami fan. I probably will read this one again.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kafka on the Shore.