Bernadette's Reviews > The Egyptian Cinderella

The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo

Sep 03, 09

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, for-teachers, egypt-kids-and-ya
Read in January, 2004

The descriptive language in this book is beautiful, as are the illustrations. The story flows very well. As I read it, I enjoyed making comparisons between this version and the more traditional version of the story. I also thought of all the connections I could make when I teach Ancient Egypt next year to my students. This book would be a great lead into study of daily life in Ancient Egypt, as well as the gods, the pharaohs, geography, and a literature comparison between different versions of Cinderella. It was interesting to read the author’s note about this book. “The story is fact and fable.” It is a fact that a Greek slave named Rhodopis married Pharaoh Amasis. Rhodopis is believed to have been born in Greece, kidnapped by pirates, and sold to a rich man in Samos where one of her fellow slaves was a man named Aesop, who told her stories about animals. A lot of interesting information for children to delve into if they want!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egyptian Cinderella.