Martin's Reviews > Paul of Dune

M 50x66
Sep 07, 09

Recommended for: no one
Read in September, 2009

I felt embarrassed reading this book. I wasn't sure who for... for myself? For Herbert? Or for the authors? Buying this book was my part in the Cash for Clunkers program when I handed over my credit card to buy this clunky piece of work: Like a good GM, it was shiny on the outside but after a few miles it squeaked, pulled to one side, the radio was stuck on one station and then all the wheels fell off as the engine exploded.

On the cover its a 'sequel', but in reality it's played as two books: Irulan's history is used as the device to devote half the book to twelve year-old Paul's adventures, while the other half mirrors the that history in the present, reintroducing some of the characters from the past.

The plot was thin and used twice. There was a lot of familiar phraseology throughout the book, from borrowing it from the original, to the extent of entire prior paragraphs being reused, giving me deja vue. Characters were shallow and dislikable, with nothing to say or add to the story. Ultimately, this book did not throw any light on the events between the first two Dune tombs, nor on the characters or their motivations, despite it's cheesy ending.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paul of Dune.

09/03/2009 page 200