Dawn Michelle's Reviews > The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Aug 29, 08

bookshelves: books-i-will-never-read-again
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Saw it in a bookstore and bought it for the husband
Recommended for: No one, especially Jane Austen fans
Read in October, 2007

This book was really a disappointment to me. After all the hype I thought this would be a really great book. And its not. Its an ok book, but not a great book.
If you are looking for a great book about friends and book clubs, then you should read "Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons: A Novel (by Lorna Landvik). That is so funny and sad and poignant and touching. Everything this book was not.
My husband is reading this book as well(He is a TRUE Jane Austen fan) and he asked me last night if ALL women were as catty and nasty as the women in this book can be!!!
And when I thought about it last night, I couldn't even remember what most of the book was about and I HAD JUST FINISHED IT!!!!
It was a quick read and that was about it for me. It had some good moments, but it mostly fell flat for me and the end...well, the end was SO...well....I don't even have words to describe it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jane Austen Book Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charity (new)

Charity Yeah...I think this is one I'll just skip and watch the movie instead.

Jenny Welch Dawn, I completely agree. I felt something was missing and I still can't tell you what it was. It was an okay book, but not one I'd recommend.

Dawn Michelle I hope you didn't waste the time of watching the movie as well. THAT was even more BLAH than the book. And with that cast, it should have been fantastic, but alas, it was not. GACK!!!