Hambonebro's Reviews > Sanctuary

Sanctuary by William Faulkner

U 50x66
Nov 02, 2009

Recommended for: Anyone interested in great writing
Read in September, 2009 , read count: three

I am into writing my second book. The plot is semi-developed. I like it like that because depending on how the characters come to life a lot of flexibility is required. My stories
shape up best when I can inhabit the characters and identify with what makes them tick and as of last week things were moving slowly.

The reason may be because unlike my first one, “Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed” where one of the subjects featured was the world of hip hop, which I was completely familiar with from my work as a songwriter/producer/record company partner. The subject matter in the book I am trying to write is streetball, the phenomenally popular world of basketball as it exists outside the NBA. I used to play on the streets of NYC, and I spent last summer watching someof the finest ballers in the world at Rucker’s Park in Harlem, but still it is not a world I’m fluent in.

What I am familiar with is the struggle to find a great character. One whose personality would be riveting no matter what world he inhabits. I know I need him to be fairly unscroupulous. “Fairly unscroupulous” because characters who are over the top
Psychopaths have little or no appeal to me. Whenever I read a cover blurb that says “there’s an evil maniac on the loose, who will stop at nothing to get his next victim, etc. I move onto the next literary possibility. This new book as in “Humpty” involves an exploration of motivations that I need resonate with my own experience with people which is people are capable of doing to do hurtful things without being purely despicable.

For inspiration I returned to reading material of my youth. The first book I grabbed off the shelf is Sanctuary by William Faulkner. I remember the main character as a true bad guy. His name is Popeye and he’s a kidnapper, killer, and sexually dysfunctional deviant, pretty good for starters. Faulkner reveals all of these aspects of this complicated man slowly and carefully in ways so empathetic I found myself trivializing his brutality by rationalizing that they are the result of unfortunate circumstances as opposed to a deeply dysfunctional personality. This is exactly the kind of juicy character that I wish to create!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanctuary.

05/04 marked as: read