Ashley's Reviews > Justice Hall

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audiobook, historical-fiction, mystery
Read from February 16 to 29, 2012

I'm still a little undecided as to how I felt about this book. Granted, I skipped O Jerusalem before I read this one, and Russell and Holmes's client here is a main character from the other book. That caused some disconnect. It was also really, really slow to go anywhere. Nearly the first half of the book, both Russell and Holmes kept wondering if there even was a mystery or case to be found in the first place. I found myself starting to wonder that, too, and didn't know why I should care. There also wasn't enough Holmes for my liking. In some ways, he was almost a secondary character in this story, although present most of the time. Especially for the second half of the book, I'd say Iris is of greater importance than Holmes, and while she's probably my favorite new character in the level, it was a little strange.

The pace picked up for the second half, and the first half wasn't so boring that I gave up on it. I think my favorite part is the completely messed up family relationship surrounding Justice Hall and the Duke. Quite the convoluted family tree, and it's eventually what makes the story interesting.

Not the best Russell/Holmes novel, but I liked it better than The Moor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice Hall.