Lyn's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

May 07, 10

bookshelves: adult
Read from March 01 to April 28, 2010

Lisa Genova has earned her stripes and proven her skill with the well-researched masterpiece that is Still Alice.

However, this book confirmed for me that I am far more afraid of loosing my ability to think than I am of pain or infirmity. I will try to bare well any challenge that is thrown my way, but I crave the luxury of retaining my memories and ability to think and reason throughout. I place a lot of value in the minds of older people. I would like to serve future generations the same way my predecessors have served me.

After watching my own sweet grandmother fight a loosing battle with dementia and Alzheimer's I found myself nodding my head a lot throughout this book. I drew many parallels and have gained a greater appreciation for my grandmother's experience.

Watching Alice go through this and realize her own uselessness was horrifying to me, because I thought of how helpless my grandma must have felt while her disease was progressing. I've honestly never considered what Alzheimer's must have been like for her. I've calculated what it meant to my parents, their relationships with siblings, and other relatives and situations. But what must it be like to watch your independence fade and realize what a burden you are becoming and will be to your loved ones? I pray I'll never know.

Another common experience I shared with Alice's family is how much communicating can take place without thinking, through feelings alone. In the later stages of my grandma's experience I remember that even though my grandma couldn't remember anything or anyone from the present, it wasn't hard to figure out if she was being treated with respect or condescension because of the way these incidents affected her mood and self-confidence.

My grandma didn't need to remember any part of a bad or good experience for it to affect her. These experiences drove home to me exactly how important it is to not allow these people to slip through the cracks in our attention.

One important positive feature of Alzheimer's that the book brought out is the unreserved love these people can offer the world. They love like few others can.

Likewise, I remember well, that as my grandmother's expectations and ability to evaluate my decisions dwindled, the love she showed for me increased and multiplied over and over. That love was sincere and fully accepting. It never felt false or inappropriate to me. It was beautiful and so meaningful during my teenage years.

I'm so glad that the end of the story brought Alice's family together and peace to her life. Her family worked hard to help her maintain her quality of life and demonstrated several ways she could add value to their lives.

There are some valuable lessons to be found in this book. Anyone who's life was/is touched by this cruel disease should pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly if you liked Still Alice, you may like my new book The Bird House. Library Journal called it a "a great title for book clubs and fans of 'Still Alice.' "

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Good to know. Thanks for the recommend.