Doug Beatty's Reviews > The Roar

The Roar by Emma Clayton

Sep 08, 09

bookshelves: teen
Read in September, 2009

Set in a futuristic world where a plague has wiped out all the animals on earth, the people of London hide behind a huge wall to stay away from the deadly gasses that killed the animals. The poor live in the damp lower levels of the city while the rich enjoy life in golden apartments atop high pillars. Ellie has been kidnapped and at the start of the novel she is racing back to her family in a pod racer with a capuchin monkey at her side. Apparently she knows a secret that they will stop at all costs from getting out. Her twin brother Mika can sense that Ellie is still alive and he begins a quest that will reunite him with his sister and change the course of the world forever.

Clayton creates a wonderful futuristic world and brings it to life. There is a wonderful set of tasks that Mika needs to complete in order to make it closer to his sister. These are in the form of arcade games, but is the purpose of the games a bit more sinister? The book is long, 480 pages, but it really reads quickly and although the book is long I had it finished in one day. I could not put it down. The book does come to a conclusion but it makes me wonder if a sequel is in the works?

The characters of Mika and Ellie are twelve in the novel and my library has it classified as juvenile fiction. I would have liked it if she had made them 14 and shelved it in the teen section, I think a teen would really enjoy it, but they would need to go to the children's books and they sometimes will not do that. Good cover. Should move on a display!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roar.