Giovanni Rodriguez's Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

M 50x66
Dec 06, 2009

Read in September, 2009

This book is one of the most emotional book I have ever read.This book is written by Dave Pelzer. The title is just as sad as this book its called A Child Called "it". In this story Dave talks about his lonely and cruel childhood. Dave's mother was always mean to him in some ways like she would not feed him and everyday he took food from the garbage can and his mother would smack him. He also had some really old and smelly clothes. Dave's father did really little to protect him. His mom even stabbed him with a knife.

Dave had many challenges to survive at school but even worse to try to survive from not getting killed by his mother. Another example on how Dave's mom was really mean to him she got one of her little kids diapers and smeared it on Dave's face. His life was very hard many of us should appreciate everything our parents have done for us, and know that not every kid has a family and some who do have parents like Dave. This book does remind me of the time my cousin's friend was treated really bad by his step mom. My cousin and I had gone to his friends house where we saw that he was treated really bad. He had to clean the whole house and cook for his step mom because he had lied to my cousin's friend taunting him saying they would send him to an orphanage if he had not clean the house. There are some characters that I thought would help Dave like the school nurse she would check Dave to see what horrible things his mom had done to him af first I thought she would be a main character but just like his dad the nurse had given up on him.Well Dave Pelzer talks about the horrible things his mom does to him I can see how he must be feeling I can imagine him so sad and depressed with his life. The setting is one im very intrigued by to seeing like when Dave's mom put amnonia in the bathroom you can just see the setting in your mind. This book really helped me undestand many things about life. Im very fortunate to have a mother that cares a lot about me it has helped me understand that not everyone has the mother that I have.

I enjoyed reading every second of this book. The author is really good at descibing everything he had to go thorugh to survive. It is a very interesing book because you can really feel many emotions in one single paregraph you can feel hate for the mom you feel sorry for Dave you feel loved by what we have and what Dave didnt have. I reacted very interested when I read that the dad had given up because I thought he was going to protect Dave. This book is really good I feel fortunate that I got to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Kenny You are ready for a couple of other books about kids with abusive or negligent parent. Try Glass Castle (in the CEC Library) about Jeanette Walls, the dauhgter of a drunken vagabond whodrags his family across the country, moving to a new city every time he loses yet another job. He throws the occasional family pet out the window, disregarding comments from the kids not to kill the dog (or was it a cat?). The book Angela's Ashes has a similar plot. Try those, too.