Caressa's Reviews > Thief of Lives

Thief of Lives by Barb Hendee

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish
Read in September, 2009

After reading the reviews, I skipped the first book in this series. I'm glad I did, as the authors use every opportunity to rehash the events of the first book in the second. I only slogged through the first 6 chapters, and then gave up. Why? This novel reads like a high school fan fiction.

My primary problem was the characters. This is another book following the trend of telling the story from EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S point of view. And sadly, I enjoyed the inner monologues of the whiny 'villains' much more than the whiny protagonists. Lets start with Magiere. For a former con artist/current vampire slayer, she sure could use a kick in the pants. Frankly, I'm disappointed that a female author would portray a "strong" female character as she is. Magiere is a woman stuck in the worst PMS mode one could imagine. If she's not snapping at someone, she's responding with a scowl. She wants to run the premiere tavern in town, but she can't stand being around people. "I want you to lavish me with adoration, but leave me alone! I want to live a normal life, but don't you dare forget I'm half vampire! I have a special gift I'll rub your nose in, but I don't want to actually use it! I don't really understand numbers or math, cuz I'm just a girl, so go talk to my male business partner. But wait, how dare you go over my head when I own half this enterprise!" Seriously.

Then we have Leesil, who is written from the point of view of a 9 year old boy. "I'm a deadly assassin with really cool weapons, but what will my half-vamp love interest think of me if I actually behave with any sort of competance? If I really like-like a girl, I should be rude to her, right? Then feel guilty and go get drunk? Then feel guilty again? Sounds like a plan!"

For a couple of "hardened" con artists, Magiere and Leesil are idiots. The story, though I was only 100 pages in, was not compelling enough to have to suffer through 200 more pages of their inane inner drivel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief of Lives.