Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Hate List

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

May 26, 11

bookshelves: owned-ebook, 2011, 5-stars, fiction, ya
Read from May 23 to 26, 2011, read count: 1

This is one of the best books I've read in a very, very long time. It fully deserves its +4 average rating here. But it is a different kind of good from most books I read. It's powerful, it's thought-provoking, it's poignant, it's desperately sad, it's hopeful.

Hate List is the story of what takes place after a school shooting - of the year that follows that event and how people try - or don't try - to move on. How people blame each other and themselves, and how Valerie - girlfriend of the shooter - comes to terms with who she is, and how much of the blame for the shooting she really should take.

It's an amazingly well-written and complex book that dives into the psychology of all the victims of such an event. While relatively short, it's in no way a quick read, as it's so emotionally loaded that I had to take my time with it.

A griping read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate List.

Quotes Maria M. Liked

Jennifer Brown
“Because who you are is supposed to be the easiest question in the world answer, right?”

Jennifer Brown
“I like that hot air balloon.' I pointed to the ceiling where an antique looking wooden hot air balloon hung.

'Yeah, I like it too. Partly because it's cool looking, but also partly because of the irony. It weighs a ton. In this office, anything can fly. No matter what is weighing it down. Even wooden balloons. Cool, huh?”

Jennifer Brown
“One's my favorite number. The word won being the past tense of win, and we can all say at the end of the day that we won once again, can't we? Some days making it to the end of the day is quite a victory.”