Rachel's Reviews > Nobody's Princess

Nobody's Princess by Esther M. Friesner

Sep 29, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

I have to say, this book did not work for me at all. It's a retelling of the story of Helen of ancient Greece. Somehow the modern voice applied to her narration just made the story feel totally shallow. "Like, oh my heck, it's the Oracle of Apollo!" Okay, it wasn't that bad, but the modern language took away the credibility of the story for me. Another problem was that the character's "voice" didn't change to adjust for her age at all. She spoke the same way at 6, at 10 and at 14. Again, hard to suspend the disbelief. Usually I really love books for young adults that feature a strong young woman but Helen came across as a tired cliche. Of COURSE she would rather be a warrior than a wool-spinning princess. The worst part? There's a sequel! The story was really only getting started when the book ended. Usually when a book has a sequel I feel I must read it no matter if I loved the first volume or not, but I think I can skip the next one, "Nobody's Prize." Give me a break.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody's Princess.

02/26/2016 marked as: read

Denae Christine I agree. There was nothing unique about Helen's character. She was a tomboy princess, and nothing more. She was also whiny and selfish. And there was no plot besides she might be in danger from the one neighboring king, and that was easy to escape. She just left with her brothers.

Eliza I enjoyed the book a lot, but I agree with your review. My only edit to this is that the book is in past tense, so she isn't talking the same way at 6, 10, 14... She's talking about her past. So the voice doesn't change: it's her older self. Other than that, very good and honest review!

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Green As I'm reading this,parts of it remind me of Game of Thrones(George R R Martin),esp the bread and salt stuff and that Helen is training with a sword.She reminds me of Arya Stark.

message 4: by Alyss (new)

Alyss Darcy Nobody's Prize was actually way better then this one, you may want to reconsider reading it

Funmilayo I completely agree with you. This book took me so long to read...I just wasn't into it. There was no great goal to achieve in this book....I really didn't care about the character, and I usually love strong female leads.