Carol's Reviews > Commencement

Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

Sep 02, 2009

did not like it
Read in January, 2009

Amateurishly written, clunky, boring, and riddled with bad dialogue and cardboard characters. And I went to a school not unlike Smith in some ways, so you'd think I'd be interested. I soldiered on for 49 pages and gave up. (I don't even care if there's going to be a torrid lesbian love affair, which I rather assume there will be.)

I'm editing to add that I see a lot of people comparing this (favorably) to Curtis Sittenfeld's "Prep," which I have also read. "Prep" is by far the superior book, in my opinion. Really, there's no comparison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commencement.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

Carol It's really pretty awful. You would hate it.

Carol You're hard to recommend for, but I might tentatively suggest Away, by Amy Bloom, or Lorrie Moore's short stories. (Avoid her novels.) You might like The Gueurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I am also reading now and which is not nearly as cutesy as its dumb name. Or how about Geraldine Brooks?

Carol I haven't read the Atwood. Just added it. The plot description was kind of painful to read, but I loved Oryx and Crake, so.

Marie I have to read this for book club and am not looking forward to it.

Marie Just finished it last night. Blah. Yes, there was a lesbian affair, but it was between the beautiful Savannah blond (who insisted she was a straight woman who happened to fall in love with a lesbian throughout the book) and her asian-caucasian soul mate. The best, though, was the whole storyline between April (the red-haired feminist) and Ronnie someone, a toxic Gloria Steinem, who move to Atlanta to blow the lid off the teenage sex trafficking scene. And how do they do this? Ronnie makes April hide out in a subterranean bunker (the size of a small walk-in closet, no less!) for months and months and months while they pretend she was a streetwalker who was kidnapped and then killed by a pimp. I kid you not.