Rose's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Sep 02, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read in August, 2009

Wow. _Wow_. This book tied with "The Lightning Thief" as my favorite in the series -- which, considering how much I enjoyed TLT, is no easy feat. The series has never lacked for character development, but you can see the stakes drawing higher and everything beginning to draw together in this penultimate book of the Percy Jackson series, and it made for awesome reading. The Labyrinth was fascinating, imaginative, eerie, humorous (I clapped like a _seal_ when the Sphinx made reference to No Child Left Behind) -- the perfect setting for the next-to-last book. I loved the emphasis on family, Daedalus's character in particular; and while I did find Percy's dreams getting a little too frequent, they were at least involving enough that I didn't skip over them the way I did the singing in the LOTR trilogy! (The dreams were not only very important to the plot, they were well-written -- I suspect my impatience simply stemmed from the fact that, as in "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," I didn't want to spend time on the past, I wanted my questions _answered_.)

Although, speaking of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" -- while I maintain that the Potter series is still superior in most ways, this was an immensely more satisfying read than "Half-Blood" -- questions were answered, if not ALL of them (ya gotta save _some_ stuff for the last book), and more seemed to _happen_ that was directly related to the coming battle. I actually found myself surprised that Kronos was still left standing by the book's end, because the conflict was so intense that having the good guys _not_ stop his rise (I suppose I'm giving things away here, but -- c'mon, you knew it was coming) was a bit of a shock.

So -- some awesome, awesome things. I went right from this into the final book, even though it broke my own rule about spacing out a series more widely than that -- but I simply could not wait to see what happened!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.