Joanna's Reviews > Service Included: Four-Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter

Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch

Nov 02, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction, books-on-food, favorite-covers
Read in November, 2007

Delicious! This is exactly the light, frothy, tidbit-laden nonfiction I enjoy most. I love reading about food, and I love bits and pieces of information. Meanwhile, the greater message found in the narrator's insistence that we CARE about our food, that we eat well, and in full awareness of it's value, reminded me forcefully of Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle. Of course many of the ingredients she lavishes with attention are not at all local, but she also expounds on the locavore message that when available local eating trumps imported on many levels. Part of the standard training she reveals to us includes learning the names of the cows who produce the milk that makes the cheese that they serve in her restaurant. This is amazing to me! I was particularly delighted when she dipped into some Vermont travel, visiting a farm which produced some cheese we sampled at a local foods dinner here in Burlington and meeting the cows personally. I was also reminded of another book group title, Julie-Julia, by the adventurous attempt to reproduce one of the more difficult recipes in a small apartment kitchen. I thoroughly enjoyed all three of these books, and I thank you, Erika, Bethany, and Joanne, for bringing them to my attention!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Service Included.