Derek's Reviews > A People's History of the United States

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Jan 13, 10

I hardly have the words to describe my absolute admiration for Howard Zinn's magnum opus, the brilliant A People's History of the United States. Other people have conveyed the book's qualities more eloquently than I could hope to do here, but I do encourage anyone on my "Update Feed" to read this book immediately. Zinn tells the history of the United States in a way that should be taught in every American public or private school: a way that eschews the easy "President X did this on date X" which misses so much (everything?) of what makes history an engaging and important subject.

I'm similarly without words to describe the people who give this book anything less than the utmost praise. I cringe to read another reviewer say, "Zinn is one of those people who will ALWAYS find something to bitch and moan about." As anyone with the slightest understanding of history will tell you, Zinn is not "bitching" about anything: he's presenting an accurate and decidedly anti-"establishment" interpretation of history. I can only imagine that to react so strongly against Zinn's work is to simply show how much we've been duped by those well-heeled folks in charge of writing our histories and swaying our allegiances so that we kill or die for something as absurd as a government.

History is written by the victors, unless it's Zinn writing it. Thank God someone like him exists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Riley I remember loving this book when I read it in college for a history class. And I remember thinking how weird that was. :P