Sheila's Reviews > Black Hills

Black Hills by Nora Roberts

Sep 02, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Let me say up front that I had especially high standards for this book. I'm from the Black Hills: I was born in Deadwood, graduated high school in Rapid City, and went to grad school in Spearfish, the three towns she names in the book. I also have a decent amount of knowledge about the Lakota history and relationship with the Hills.

Maybe if this plot was used in a setting/culture I was unfamiliar with, I would have liked it, but I really, really didn't. There were little mistakes (a "beef farmer" = a "rancher," dude), wacky geography, and clunky exposition (there was an infodump about the Sioux Black Hills lawsuit/settlement that made me grind my teeth, it had so little place in the scene).

But the thing that really bothers me is this: the villain has bought into every stupid stereotype about Native Americans Roberts could think of. She attempted to balance that with some exposition from other characters about why he was wrong, but see above about clunky exposition. It really didn't work for me. I'm super extra sensitive about this, and it made me nuts.

Also, there were three Native American characters in the entire book, and not a one of them had both Lakota parents. Not one.

The plot itself was okay but not great; the two romance storylines were all about the guys pursuing women who told them no, which I'm also not fond of.

And did I mention? A beef farmer is a RANCHER. wtf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aileen (new)

Aileen A Beef Farmer? Does she think that steak grows out of the ground?

Sheila She refers to slaughtering cattle...and she's written books about ranchers before...I don't even. Maybe someone made a reference to it while she was researching and she took it as gospel?

(There's not even a lot of farms period in that area, I don't think. Farming + hills =/= good times.)