Noel Bush's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Sep 02, 09

Read in September, 2009

I highly recommend this book. I read about it in some piece on Salon/Slate talking about time traveling movies and how they often play fast and loose with the physics of time travel (as if anybody really knows how that will work anyway). The book was mentioned, and complimented, as I recall; the film isn't out here in Berlin yet anyway, and I'm glad that I was able to read this. I devoured it in a day, just couldn't put it down. It's very satisfying from the "sci fi" point of view, but it really doesn't read like techno-obsessed science fiction at all -- in fact, there's zero technology involved in the time traveling aspect of this. Nonetheless, or perhaps because of that, it gets deeply into all the classical conundrums and paradoxes that are dredged up in most time travel stories, turning them into fresh and weird and wonderful and funny and painful matters of life -- lives, really, woven in and out of each other in ways that defy both chaos and determinism to sweep out some sort of solid logic that is as sad and final as it is liberating. There's so much human soul and purpose in here without the least bit of religion or spiritual rhapsodizing over invisible causes, and so much wonderment and optimism with not one iota of techno-utopian anticipation. Just damn beautiful, this book.