Joseph Hlebica's Reviews > Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China

Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper by Fuchsia Dunlop

Sep 02, 09

I have read only two noteworthy books on China, this and Peter Hessler's amazing Journey Through Time. Notably, both were written by gifted young journalists who cut their teeth in Sichuan Province. I am just a few chapters into Dunlop's engrossing romance on the adventure of discovering China and Sichuan's legendary cuisine. Thusfar, every word she has penned to evoke the sensory explosion of life in Chengdu rings true for me. Like Dunlop, I went to Chengdu ostensibly for academic purposes, but soon lost interest in the state-appointed agenda I was signed up for, and spent as much time as possible away from lecture halls and hospital rotations to explore the sights and sensations of this bewitching city in southwest-central China. Dunlop's book is an innovative fusion of travel log, diary, and culinary journalism, complete with recipes that I doubt are available in any other English-language source. A gifted writer, she has not surprisingly won major awards for this book and others. If you can read this book without immediately searching the Yellow Pages for your nearest Sichuanese restaurant, there's something lacking in your sense of adventure.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper.