Jennifer's Reviews > Affliction

Affliction by Russell Banks

Sep 11, 09

Read in September, 2009

Banks' book starts off a bit slow with the overwhelming details of the town dwellers and the locale in NH. It helps but slows down the narrative before we're able to get to the heart of the story. Even the family conflict and addiction that becomes such a curse for Wade is presented almost halfway through the book culminating in a lot happening in the last few chapters.

I enjoyed Banks' writing and the details we get into this freezing, working class town that tends to break people down emotionally and physically over time considering many don't seem to leave unless pressed. The story is told by Wade's brother from what he considers to be Wade's POV considering they are almost one in the same on most counts. And with inserts of his interviewing people and how much information was gained a vivid picture is created of what would become Wade's downfall and a mystery that others don't want to dwell on, but that our narrator, Rolfe, needs to find answers to in the end.

Definitely a good book on addiction and how easily things can turn on a dime.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affliction.

09/02/2009 page 26
09/04/2009 page 124
33.7% "Initially a slow read with the brother narrating landscape at all, but is necessary."