Kati's Reviews > The Umbrella Conspiracy

198122
Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: het, 2010, in-english, sci-fi, work-reviews
Read from June 10 to 18, 2010

Book #1 in the "Resident Evil" series. Takes place at the same time as "Zero Hour", book #0. Where "The Umbrella Conspiracy" is told from the POV of the Alpha Team, "Zero Hour" is told from the POV of the Beta Team that crashes its helicopter right at the beginning. I read ZH first - unfortunately. Why? Even though the events should take place simultaneously, there are so many errors, it's not even funny. Rebecca is the main heroine of ZH, the young field medic slash chemist and she kicks major butt, zombies, other monsters, whatever, she survives the self-destruction of the training facility and THEN goes to the Spencer estate - in TUC, she doesn't have a gun, she doesn't recognize the monsters, she ran towards the Spencer estate together with her team right away, so basically, ZH didn't happen. In ZH, Wesker is at the training facility - in TUC, he's the leader of the Alpha Team. And that totally ruined the fun. So, my advice, either read "Zero Hour" or "The Umbrella Conspiracy", NOT both!

Another thing - the beginning was awesome and I was totally hooked, the team was simply great. But soon, it was back to the same old, same old: open a room, find a clue, solve a puzzle, find a key, fight a monster, move on - lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Seriously, dear author, you really do NOT have to copy everything you see happening on your computer screen, scene for scene. It was rather ridiculous after a while. And what's with the "let's split up" routine? What a great idea to split up in a house that's built like a booby-trapped maze.

I think that this will be the last book in the "Resident Evil" series that I'll read. You read one book, you read them all. It's a carbon copy of a rehash of a carbon copy.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Umbrella Conspiracy.

06/11/2010 page 30
10.0% "Takes place during Zero Hour, told from the Alpha Team POV."
show 1 hidden update…

The Holy Terror Do you play the games at all? It's probably my favorite game series of all time. I actually think I've bought the first game 5 times now, with all the rereleases and such.

Kati Nope, I don't play computer games. I was R&Ring it for my boss.

message 3: by Seth (new) - added it

Seth Shannon wrote: "Do you play the games at all? It's probably my favorite game series of all time. I actually think I've bought the first game 5 times now, with all the rereleases and such." same here lol

Tiffany DeBarr Zero Hour doesn't completely overlap with The Umbrella Chronicles. Rebecca, near the end of Zero Hour, runs into Enrico and he informs her that they're heading out to the Spencer Estate. It's not a complete overlap.

While I didn't personally need her to recognize the monstrous atrocities and was understanding of the possibility of her losing her gun, I did feel like Rebecca still had her intelligence. For starters, she's fairly helpful to Chris in regards to what those papers are and in solving the puzzle in the piano room. Although, I can't say I liked that it seemed like Chris was dumbed down in her presence. I think Rebecca can be a child genius without the other character seeming less intelligent. I've never imagined Chris as an idiot honestly.

I imagine the story really isn't crafted for those who don't play the game though. It's unfortunate. I personally liked some of the puzzles, seeing as Perry could've really made it painful by constantly having the characters act like the player (trying and failing consistently to solve the puzzle). However, I understand how the novelizations may not appeal towards non-fans. Do you normally read these kinds of books or did you only do so as a request of your boss?

Tiffany DeBarr Sorry, I meant The Umbrella Conspiracy, not the Umbrella Chronicles. Mistook the novel for the game title on the Wii.

Kati I really love sci-fi books so I didn't mind when I was given this for reviewing. The thing is that I didn't mind that the books ran almost parallel to each other, I thought it would be great to see one story from two POVs. The problem was, at least for me, that there were mistakes that made the parallels impossible. I think the author should've paid more attention. That was my biggest issue with the book.