Connie Kuntz's Reviews > The Blue Star

The Blue Star by Tony Earley

Sep 01, 09

Recommended to Connie by: I like the author
Recommended for: People who like a simple love story that isn't simple
Read in September, 2009 , read count: Once

It is 1941 and Jim is a brooding (but not cynical) senior in high school in rural North Carolina. He is a thoughtful, friendly young man with a stern but loving mama, three uncles who adore him, charming friendships and a car dubbed "The Major." Jim is hardworking and is considering where his life will take him now that he is a senior in high school.

On the first day of school, he falls in love with a beautiful girl, Chrissie Steppe, who is obligated (broadly defined) to Bucky who is fighting the war. Jim pursues Chrissie and learns about racism, politics and family honor in the chase.

This is a story about young love that is told tenderly and politically. The story coincides with the months before and after Pearl Harbor, which is a major component of the novel.

The war, specifically Pearl Harbor, shaped the course of this story more than the combined forces of family, land and love and I can't help but applaud such a bold writing choice. I never thought about how much politics influences who and how we love until I read this book. I am looking at everyone in a different light today and am wondering where politics will take my own children.

Great novel. I am looking forward to the next book about Jim.

Side note for my future reference: math and astronomy are sub-plots and I wonder if Early will dwell on either topic in the next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Star.