Janene's Reviews > A Mother's Book of Secrets

A Mother's Book of Secrets by Linda Eyre

Sep 01, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2009

A book by the Eyre's, this time a mother daughter team. I picked it up, largely because of the good things I've found in using their joy school curriculum and parenting tips at valuesparenting.com. I highly recommend this read to anyone not familiar with their ideas. They know their stuff.

For that very reason, bits and pieces of it were repetitive for me. Mostly I wanted to take notes on the sections written by Linda. I love when she would wrap up a section with some great ideas on keeping order in the home or dissolving sibling rivalry with something like, "we tried dozens of methods. Do whatever works, good luck with that!" Isn't that just the truth? There is no perfect secret that is going to change things that just ARE. She had a great take on the adventure of motherhood, craziness and problems is just part of what we sign up for.

I didn't enjoy as much the Shawni sections, probably because she is in about the same stage of motherhood as myself, and a lot of her ideas are the same realizations I'm coming to in my own way. I tired of the phrase "amazing mother," and she sometimes seemed to be excelling in all the ways that I'm not, but that could have been just me being envious. :o) I liked her sections on letting perfection go, deciding to have a good attitude in the home (because honestly moms, that is ALL up to us), and keeping things simple.

The mini-essay format of this was perfect, making it a perfect book to have lying around for busy moms. It was nice to just squeeze in reading a section or two before bed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mother's Book of Secrets.