Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > Mama Zooms

Mama Zooms by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

Sep 01, 2009

bookshelves: childrens, disability
Read in July, 2004

This has been a fun book for our family. As soon as our son was born, we bought a copy. My wife uses an motorized wheelchair, and my son now has a little sister - so, while the story isn't a perfect match - it's still very similar to riding on mommy's zooming machine! My wife drops my son off at school and picks him up, using her wheelchair. They also ride the bus, go to the park, go out to eat, and do plenty of other activities on that "zooming machine"!

Written in 1993, the story seems a little dated to me, but there is no other book like this! Great imagery - the words are paired with the author's own pastel and colored pencil illustrations. A great way to show the mother/son relationship - I'd like to see a sequel! A follow up book could give readers more insight on how a mother with a disability cares for her child - expanding beyond just giving rides.

I love the ending: "Mama zooms me right up until bedtime. Then Mama is just my mama, and that's how I like her best." All in all a wonderful book and we're glad it's available! Our family also enjoys Zoom! and A Rainbow of Friends.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mama Zooms.