Steven's Reviews > The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy

The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux

Sep 30, 09

bookshelves: humor, memoir
Read in September, 2009

What a hoot! I remember coming across a review of this book and thinking I should read it. Then I forgot about it. A short while back, a friend brought to my attention an article in the New York Times about multitasking by her friend Ruth Pennebaker, in which Robert Leleux is quoted, and it brought it all back to mind. For those keeping score, that's only three degrees of separation!

And possibly less, as it seems that Mr. Leleux and I grew up in small town Texas as gay boys only a dozen years and 50 miles from each other. Not to say that his family and upbringing were anything like mine. Still, his voice resonated with me. I so enjoyed his ability to describe the characters that fill his life. He's one of those people that you just know you'd enjoy listening to as he read his work.

For my friends and family who grew up there or know the place well, I leave the following quote: "...it's hard for me to generalize about a group of people -- but, by and large, Huntsvillians did seem a little peculiar. Deep East Texas peculiar."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy.