Adrianna's Reviews > A War of Gifts

A War of Gifts by Orson Scott Card

Feb 03, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, in-eureka, cafe-libri, christmas, audio
Recommended to Adrianna by: Borders
Recommended for: Teenagers and Adults
Read from August 07 to 09, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This was my first audio book since around a year ago. It took me two days to finish it; I was listening to it on a car trip to visit my family. It brought back nostalgic memories of Card's classic Ender's Game and made me want to revisit that whole universe again. This is a great novella for anyone who loves science fiction, morality, religious and political debates, and, of course, the writer Orson Scott Card. The reader is introduced to a new character in the Ender saga, Zeck, whose parents' religious beliefs resemble Puritan ideology. You also get to see classic Ender characters such as the entire Rat Army, including Dink and Ender himself. This story is compelling because of the moral debates, the main one being pacifism versus fighting, even "pretend fighting" for a global army. Zeck is an emotionally and physically abused young boy who won't budge an inch on his religious views, even in the face of extreme isolation. This intense belief system is contrasted with extreme hypocrisy, as exhibited by Zeck's preacher father. Juxtaposing Zeck's private battle is the battle of the students, led by Dink, to celebrate their Christmas holiday even though religious and cultural practices are forbidden at battle school. A short poem and pancake in the shape of an F lead to a war of gifts with consequences that can possibly surpass the time at Battle School. Can Ender help Zeck face his past and find peace with himself? The events that lead up to the final conversation between Zeck and Ender reminds me of Law and Order: Criminal Intent, mysteries that need solving. When Vincent D'Onofrio (Detective Robert Goren) confronts the villain of the current criminal case, it is to provide release and vindication for the criminal and her or his victims, just like Ender promises emotional and spiritual release for Zeck. All characters shine in this book and many teach us to never lose hope in faith and friendship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A War of Gifts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aerin Wonderful! I look forward it. I started the Orson Scott Card books about Ender a long time ago and have been slowly working through them when I can. Would love to check this out! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Adrianna You're welcome! I think it will make an interesting holiday read considering it's a science fiction novella. And, even if you haven't read any of the Ender books, this book stands alone as its own story.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Richardson LOVED Ender's Game. I read it aloud five times to five different sixth grade classes. It was their favorite of the year. Thanks for reminding me!
Barb

Adrianna You're welcome, Barbara, but it doesn't seem like you needed the reminder! Oh wow...five readings! I'm so glad you read the book to so many students. I love reading books out loud. :)