Tobias's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: own, science-fiction, favourites
Read from February 04 to 10, 2011

Great. I experienced the emotions of the characters and for that the author is great. The sorrow, the sadness, the pain. Few authors have achieved what Orson Scott Card has.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

Quotes Tobias Liked

Orson Scott Card
“Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.”

Orson Scott Card
“I think that most of us, anyway, read these stories that we know are not "true" because we're hungry for another kind of truth: the mythic truth about human nature in general, the particular truth about those life-communities that define our own identity, and the most specific truth of all: our own self-story. Fiction, because it is not about someone who lived in the real world, always has the possibility of being about oneself. --From the Introduction”

Orson Scott Card
“If you try and lose then it isn't your fault. But if you don't try and we lose, then it's all your fault.”

Orson Scott Card
“I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly - I'll beat you unfairly first.
- Ender ”

Orson Scott Card
“Early to bed and early to rise," Mazer intoned, "makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes.”

Orson Scott Card
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them.”

Orson Scott Card
“Because never in my entire childhood did I feel like a child. I felt like a person all along―the same person that I am today.”

“You're a monster.
Thanks. Does this mean I get a raise?
No, just a medal. The budget isn't inexhaustable.”

Orson Scott Card
“Peter, you're twelve years old. I'm ten. They have a word for people our age. They call us children and they treat us like mice.”

Orson Scott Card
“Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth.”

Orson Scott Card
“Human beings are free except when humanity needs them. Maybe humanity needs you. To do something. Maybe humanity needs me—to find out what you're good for. We might both do despicable things, Ender, but if humankind survives, then we were good tools.”

Orson Scott Card
“I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.”

Orson Scott Card
“An enemy, Ender Wiggin," whispered the old man. "I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher.”

Orson Scott Card
“Ender Wiggin isn't a killer. He just wins--thoroughly.”

Orson Scott Card
“I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.”

Orson Scott Card
“The story is one that you and I will construct together in your memory. If the story means anything to you at all, then when you remember it afterward, think of it, not as something I created, but rather as something that we made together. ”

Orson Scott Card
“If you listen very carefully, you can hear the good fairy come in the night and leave our assignment for tomorrow.”

Orson Scott Card
“I also remembered that you were beautiful."
"Memory does play tricks on us."
"No. Your face is the same, but I don't remember what beautiful means anymore.”

Orson Scott Card
“Human beings may be miserable specimens, in the main, but we can learn, and, through learning, become decent people.”

Orson Scott Card
“Fiction, because it is not about somebody who actually lived in the real world, always has the possibility of being about oneself.”

Orson Scott Card
“The story itself, the true story, is the one that the audience members create in their minds, guided and shaped by my text, but then transformed, elucidated, expanded, edited, and clarified by their own experience, their own desires, their own hopes and fears.”

Orson Scott Card
“Since when do you have to tell the enemy when he has won”

Orson Scott Card
“If only we could have talked to you, the hive-queen said in Ender's words. But since it could not be, we ask only this: that you remember us, not as enemies, but as a tragic sisters, changed into fol shape by fate or God or evolution. If we had kissed, it would have been the miracle to make us human in each other's eyes. Instead we killed each other. But still we welcome you now as guestfriends. Come into our home, daughters of Earth; dwell in our tunnels, harvest our fields; what we cannot do, you are now our hands to do for us. Blossom, trees; ripen, fields; be warm for them, suns; be fertile for them, planets: they are our adopted daughters, and they have come home.”

Orson Scott Card
“I know, you've been here a year, you think these people are normal. Well, they're not. WE'RE not. I look in the library, I call up books on my desk. Old ones, because they won't let us have anything new, but I've got a pretty good idea what children are, and we're not children. Children can lose sometimes, and nobody cares. Children aren't in armies, they aren't COMMANDERS, they don't rule over forty other kids, it's more than anybody can take and not get crazy.”
tags: books

Orson Scott Card
“We have to go. I'm almost happy here.”

02/10/2011 page 336