Tatiana's Reviews > Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver

Real Live Boyfriends by E. Lockhart

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: ala-ya-2011, 2011, ya, favorites, chick-lit, 2012
Recommended for: Ruby Oliver fans
Read from January 22, 2011 to June 30, 2012, read count: 2

As seen on The Readventurer

This is another series conclusion that doesn't disappoint.

Granted, the book started rather rocky for me. You see, Ruby now (finally) has a boyfriend after getting no proper action due to her uber-slut reputation. But the moment she gets him, our girl is back to her Jackson-time antics, meaning her guy is the most important part of her life, the epicenter of her existence. When things get difficult with him, she is back to her insecure self - being fake about her feelings, trying to be the bestest girlfriend and pretending being cool when she is hurt, holding her concerns back and then finally exploding and pouring them out publicly to everyone's embarrassment, flirting with other guys when her problems with her "real live boyfriend" are unresolved. Oh, Ruby, Ruby, I wanted to scream, have you not learned anything at all? Were your years of therapy a complete waste? Are you destined to be another Carrie Bradshaw jumping around single at 40, self-sabotaging, being insecure and trying to be what a guy wants instead of yourself?

To my relief, it turns out Ruby is not a lost cause. She did learn something and she does come out on top and shows the level of maturity I have never seen in her before. Yes, there is hope for all neurotic girls out there.

I love this series. Even though Ruby Oliver is not always easy to bear - her neurotic character traits are very much exaggerated. But her romantic (mis)adventures and personal struggles are very familiar ones. I think these books highlight many issues teen girls face - how to be a good friend, how not to be so boy-obsesses, how to be assertive in relationships - and handle them very well, responsibly.

I've enjoyed these books very much, but I hope never to see 5th Ruby Oliver book in print. I want to believe this neurotic, panic-attack prone girl had learned all her lessons and won't be back to her old behavior and endless obsessing about things that do not matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Live Boyfriends.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca The title is a mouthful!

Tatiana I know!:)

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Caro I have got to start reading this series. Every time you write a review about a book in the series, I always try to remember to go on Amazon, but I forget.

Penny I've yet to get my hands on this book. I can't wait to read it because E. Lockhart is one of my favorite authors.

Anyway, great review.

message 5: by Jean Pearl (new)

Jean Pearl I've been meaning to read this series too. Damn ur reviews. =)

Rosanne I have to admit while reading I flipped to the end to see how it would turn out because her antics were frustrating me (they always have, but I know this is reflective of teen behavior). I just want Ruby to have some drama free time, ya know? I was so glad to see her maturing.

Tatiana I felt the same way, Roseanne. The beginning was sooo frustrating I thought I had no more patience for Ruby. But then things, thankfully, turned around.

Heather I'vre read the last page, shameful I know, but I couldn't bare to read this book without knowing it will turn out well. Great review, I can't wait to sit down with Roo.

message 9: by AH (new)

AH Great title. Glad you liked it. Great review, Tatiana.

Penny I've got to get to a Borders or Barnes and noble because I can't find this book anywhere else.

Tatiana Is your Borders still open? Mine closed down a week or so ago:(

Penny The two nearest my house are still open, thank goodness.