Justin's Reviews > Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life

Peace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Sep 01, 09

Read in September, 2009

This is a wonderful, inspiring little book about simple living, meditation, and opening yourself to deeper compassion and self-reflection. Thich Nhat Hanh is a world-renowned Vietnamese Buddhist Monk, and the work is really just a collection of speeches he's made, anecdotes he's told, and ideas he's scribbled. Hanh's language is not complex, but there is beauty in his prose, as evidenced by this passage:

I asked the leaf whether it was frightened because it was autumn and the other leaves were falling. The leaf told me, "No. During the whole spring and summer I was completely alive. I worked hard to help nourish the tree, and now much of me is in the tree. I am not limited by this form. I am also the whole tree, and when I get back to the soil, I will continue to nourish the tree. So I don't worry at all. As I leave this branch and float to the ground, I will wave to the tree and tell her, 'I will see you again very soon.'"

That day there was a wind blowing and, after a while, I saw the leaf leave the branch and float down to the soil, dancing joyfully, because as it floated it saw itself already there in the tree. It was so happy. I bowed my head, knowing that I have a lot to learn from that leaf.

If everyone read Peace Is Every Step, the world would be a better place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peace Is Every Step.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy This is an excellent excerpt: the leaf that flows without end.

Timur Remarkable excerpt, it missed me when I read. Thank you for pointing it out.