Elizabeth's Reviews > The Job-Hunter's Survival Guide

The Job-Hunter's Survival Guide by Richard N. Bolles

Sep 20, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction-other
Read in September, 2009

The Washington Post reviewed this book favorably, and since I have quite a few resume customers, I wanted to see if it had some good ideas for them. Definitely worthwhile--short, full of useful information, and easy to read for the most part. Even though I write resumes, I totally agree with the author's opinion that a resume is only a tool and cannot be relied on for getting a job by just "sending and forgetting."

There was a disconnect, I felt, between his repeated assertion that online methods for job-hunting only resulted in 10-12% of jobs and therefore should only account for 10-12% of your job-hunting efforts. Yet the action steps and advice he gave involved a tremendous amount of online research and work. If I were out of work and not comfortable surfing the net, this book would be frustrating--still worthwhile for the list of ways to look for a job.

The author did an excellent job of discussing the importance of self-analysis, taking control of the job-hunting process, tapping into other sources of information about jobs, and in general giving the reader a hopeful and "can-do" feeling about the process. I would encourage anyone out of work right now to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Job-Hunter's Survival Guide.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Persis (new)

Persis Would you recommend this book?

Elizabeth Definitely I would recommend it -- see my review above.