Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Death of a Cure

Death of a Cure by Steven H. Jackson

Aug 31, 2009

bookshelves: adult, thriller
Read in August, 2009

Death of a Cure by Steven H. Jackson is a book that normally I would not pick up without someone recommending it to me. Since I teach middle school, most of my books are Middle Grades or Young Adult in nature. Recently I vented about the reading program I must teach in school this year. The author read my post and asked if I would be willing to preview his book and review it. I checked it out and decided it had a premise that sounded promising so I agreed. My review follows.

Dr. Ronald Briggs works for an organization trying to find a cure for a disease called CID. Now that he has found some success in finding the cure it is snatched from him. The story opens with the violent action of someone demanding the disk that contains the information about the cure while holding him at gun point. As Dr. Briggs body slams into the pavement his last thoughts are of the cure and how it will die with him. Enter Dr. Thomas Briggs. A Marine Surgeon, Thomas is on assignment when he gets the message of his brother’s death. He flies to New York and like a bull in a China shop begins investigating. He brings in a long time friend and part-time girl friend, FBI agent Marilena. He needed her to head the investigation into his brother’s death. Not for one moment did he believe that it was a suicide. He knew that sometimes you needed to use a little finesse when dealing with people. This was something he was not good at. On their first night together they are almost run down by a yellow cab. That was my first hint that Thomas may be right about his brother’s death. I had my own ideas about who the murderer was. I was so wrong. book kept me turning the pages one after another. I was very pleased with the character development, the subtle romance that was building. The author even had me guessing about the romance. Would it develop or not? The book was well researched. Not just anyone could write about a not-for-profit organization. I was taken into the world that sometime is a little more than what is portrayed on the surface. The medical information was not grotesque but detailed and informative enough to keep me reading. Although, had it been a grotesque , detailed oriented book that dealt with the issues of someone falling from a building, and the effect it has on the body, I would still have read it. Call me weird. You are talking to someone who spent her summers reading her sisters nursing books for pleasure. I believe this book would appeal to many people; those who are looking for a corporate thriller, those looking for a killer in the medical field and those who just like to read. The plot and the characters were well fleshed out. I look forward to reading many more novels by this author. It is definitely books like this that pull me back from my Middle Grades/ YA books and into the world of the adults. I can’t wait to share this book with many teachers at my school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of a Cure.