JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Simon's Cat

Simon's Cat by Simon Tofield

This is apparently based on some popular YouTube videos of the same name. I've never heard of it, but since I almost never go to YouTube, that's not saying much. Still, I saw the title on the Goodreads giveaways list and decided to enter to win a free book. I have a cat, and who doesn't love a good cartoon about cats? I was lucky enough to win a copy.

This was cute. I think every cat owner will recognize their cat in these pages. The way he's always begging for food, plotting to catch the local wildlife, ripping off his bell-collar, and just generally being a lovable, annoying furball are spot on. There's one section about the ordeal of getting the cat into the pet carrier and to the vet that I am going to show my aunt. She will love it! And does she have a story about that! Some things seemed a little familiar from Garfield (mostly the cat-as-birdhouse routines), but mostly this was original and funny. With his best friend the garden gnome and his arch-nemesis the porcupine in tow, Simon's cat will charm your socks off.

One thing that bothered me was that I wasn't sure where one little storyline ended and where another started. They weren't consistently the same length, sometimes there were several on a page, and sometimes one little story went on for pages. Maybe it was just me. But still--that's what knocked this down a star.

Overall, though, I recommend this for cat lovers. I'll be checking out the YouTube videos soon myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simon's Cat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Here are my favorites to get you started!

These are so funny they have me in tears every time I watch them, especially the last one. :D

message 2: by Fiona (last edited Oct 03, 2009 05:19AM) (new)

Fiona Oh I love Simon's cat! Aww lucky you getting the book!

and the official website:

JG (The Introverted Reader) Thanks for the links! I'll check them out after breakfast.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Yes, we wouldn't want you to choke on your food when you start laughing hysterically! :D

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'm messy enough without that complication!

I did get distracted afterward though. I'll check them out right now.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Tears of laughter! The last one was my favorite, but they were all great!

Sara ♥ I LOVE those videos! SO CUTE! I really want to read this book!

JG (The Introverted Reader) You should, Sara. The book was really cute too.

Do you have a cat?

Sara ♥ We have two cats and two dogs. The cartoons are scarily accurate!! This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q is my favorite, because that is SO my cat! Except he gets so hungry (or annoyed at us for not waking up) that he nibbles on our faces. Cheekbone, eyebrow, nose, ear, chin... Nothing is safe from Mr. Kiggerz!!

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky Sara, that's so funny you should say that! Indica, my youngest cat, used to chew on my fingers when she was hungry and I wasn't getting up fast enough for her! Not nibbling. She was trying to eat the "sausages".

Nom nom nom.

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Lets hope you don't die in your sleep.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky Fiona wrote: "Lets hope you don't die in your sleep."

Well, I won't mind her chewing on my fingers NEARLY so much then. O_o

JG (The Introverted Reader) My cat, Sabbat, still lives with my parents because I'm never home. But she used to content herself with smacking my face (claws in, thank goodness!) if she was hungry and I was sleeping. And then tripping me so that I almost broke my neck when I got up.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky Haha! I don't know why they do that. You'd think they'd realize that getting in your way means you can't get there to feed them, or standing OVER the dish means you can't put food in it. Silly felines.

Sara ♥ Becky wrote: "Sara, that's so funny you should say that! Indica, my youngest cat, used to chew on my fingers when she was hungry and I wasn't getting up fast enough for her! Not nibbling. She was trying to eat the "sausages".

Nom nom nom."

Oh my GOSH, I about died at that! Sausages... hahaha... oh geez!!! Nowadays, we usually sleep with the door closed so we don't get our faces chewed off. So now, the cats just meow REALLY LOUDLY outside the door. Oh, and they push against the door, too... which we can hear (bang! bang!) because the door isn't the highest quality (rental place)... It's like the door doesn't fit really tight and when you push on it, there's some give, so that it bangs against the door frame. Hard to describe without a video camera... but the cats sure do make a racket when they want something!!

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky Sara ♥ wrote: "Becky wrote: "Sara, that's so funny you should say that! Indica, my youngest cat, used to chew on my fingers when she was hungry and I wasn't getting up fast enough for her! Not nibbling. She was t..."

I know what you mean Sara, mine do that too. And the cats scratch at doors like dogs. *shakes head*