Brenda Mengeling's Reviews > Flower Confidential: The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful in the Business of Flowers

Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart

Jul 09, 15

bookshelves: 45, social-history, favorites
Read in October, 2009

Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart was a fascinating and enlightening read. I enjoyed it immensely. I knew many cut flowers came from South America, but that was pretty much all I knew about the business of breeding, growing and selling cut flowers. Readers will learn the history of the "Star Gazer" lily, why breeding a blue rose isn't easy, why breeders are always trying to come up with new varieties of gerbera daisies, why Ecuadorians both love and hate the flower industry that has flourished there, what happens step-by-step to a rose from being cut in Ecuador to it ending up in a vase on your table, how Dutch flower auctions work (each auction takes just a few seconds, and the prices go down during the auction) and much more. I wasn't bored by any of it. Ms. Stewart's writing style is friendly and informed. She provides an excellent mix of information, science and personal stories of the people who work in the cut flower industry. Highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flower Confidential.

10/05/2009 page 30
9.8% "Am enjoying Amy Stewart's writing. I had no idea the flower business was so complex."