Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > Rules

Rules by Cynthia Lord

Aug 31, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2008, teen, disability
Read in June, 2008

I love this book! Rules is a Newberry Honor Book and winner of the Schneider Family Book Award. Well-written and a smooth, easy to read story, words that come to mind when I think about this book are: Honest, Real and Truthful. I like this book because to me it doesn't seem forced or fake - it's Genuine.

Catherine is a twelve year old girl who likes to draw and sketch. She has two guinea pigs named Cinnamon and Nutmeg, and wants to become friends with Kristi who just moved in next door. Catherine fills her sketchbook with drawings and also with rules to help her brother and herself understand the world. During David's OT visits, Catherine meets Jason in the waiting room. Jason uses a wheelchair and communications cards. Catherine begins creating new cards for Jason's communication notebook - new words complete with drawings of her own to match. As their friendship grows, Catherine and Jason expand in different ways; he tries new things and she starts seeing things from a new perspective.

A great book that really shows the discomfort of meeting someone is who is different. As the story closes, it's really up in the air how things will end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules.