Robert Collins's Reviews > Choices Meant for Gods

Choices Meant for Gods by Sandy Lender

Aug 31, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in September, 2009

This is an interesting fantasy novel. First off, it's not a "novel," but the first part of a series. As such it's hard to tell if much happens plot-wise. It's the characters that make this work interesting. The heroine, Amanda Chariss, is wonderfully mouthy and strong, yet at the same time has lots to learn. There's a god that acts like a family uncle, a colorful household, and a "pet" dragon. It's these characters that kept me reading.

If I have a complaint (and a caution), it's this: point-of-view often shifts without warning, and sometimes does so within paragraphs. There were a few times when this was jarring. Fortunately, the characters are interesting enough, and the information revealed is compelling enough, that these shifts don't slow down the reading at all.

Tho' I do have a weakness for redheads, I'm looking forward to getting the second book and reading more about Amanda's adventures. I'd recommend this book for anyone who likes the fantasy genre, and especially those who want characters as complex as the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choices Meant for Gods.