Bruce's Reviews > Spanish for Reading: A Self-Instructional Course

Spanish for Reading by Fabiola Franco

1207684
Aug 31, 2009

Read in August, 2009

I purchased this programmed textbook in order to gain a reading knowledge of Spanish so that I could read 20th century Spanish-language poetry. Four months later, having spent about 100 hours on it, I am now able to read Neruda and Machado in the original, although not yet as fluently as I shall be able to do with more practice. I found this text very easy to use and the readings appropriate to each of its fifteen chapters. Sometimes idioms were not obvious, and I would have appreciated translations of some of the longer literary selections, but I always could find what I needed in the preceding material. By about Chapter 10, I was struggling to remember all the verb forms that had been presented, so I supplemented this text with one on Spanish Verb Tenses, and that was very helpful. One also needs a good Spanish-English dictionary, since none is included in the text itself. Overall, I was pleased with this book and recommend it for anyone who is primarily interested in reading Spanish rather than conversing in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spanish for Reading.

04/13 marked as: read

message 1: by Ci (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ci Thank you for your comments. I am interested in Neruda's poems as well, but I have only read the English translations. do you have a book of his poems that may be accessible for someone who studied Spanish around 100 or 150 hours? thanks much. Qi

Bruce The volume of Neruda's poems that I have liked the best is his Selected Poems.. The ISBN is 0-395-54418-1. This is particularly helpful edition because it is dual-language, with the original Spanish on the left page and the (very good, I think) English translations on the right. My facility with Spanish is not yet strong enough to be able to do away with the English translation entirely, if only so that I can check my understanding and be sure that it is not entirely incorrect.