Nancy's Reviews > Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers

Grain Brain by David  Perlmutter

Aug 15, 2013

bookshelves: goodreads-wins
Read in September, 2013

I won Grain Brain in a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you author David Perlmutter, MD, Little Brown and Company, and Goodreads.

This was a difficult book for me to rate. I entered the giveaway because I am a diabetic and overweight, and I am always looking for answers to my diet questions, and because I want to live life as healthy as possible. We all want that, right?

On the one hand, this book is well-written and easy to understand. Words are chosen and used in a way that gives credit to the author. It was well-edited, which is not always the case these days.

On the other hand, I don't buy into the author's premise, that carbs ought to be almost totally cut from the diet, to be replaced in the main by fat. In his diet, fruit is cut to one small serving per day. He advises fat to be the largest portion of your diet.

Without a doubt, we eat far too many carbs, but this diet swings so far the other way it is hard to assimilate. I think one thing that keeps coming to mind is that there are books out there right now, written by doctors, that take many wide and varied viewpoints. One of my friends has recently read several books (written by doctors), that eschew eating any animal products whatsoever. Not only no meat, but no fish, no chicken, no eggs, no cheese, no milk. Not to eat and not to include in recipes. They claim animal products are the root of medical problems.

No matter what viewpoint you have about your diet, I'm sure you can find a book written by a doctor to back up that point.

I'm not telling you not to buy and read this book. In fact, I'm encouraging you to do so. You'll have to form your own opinion as to your diet. You'll have a lot of information from Dr. Perlmutter to absorb.

I'm giving this book four stars for being well-written and understandable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grain Brain.

08/15/2013 marked as: read
08/15/2013 marked as: to-read
09/02/2013 marked as: read

Gary I went on a Ketogenic diet (High Fat, Moderate Protean, low Carb) to lose weight. I lost over 60 lb. Yet it’s the side effects that has made me happy. My ADHD has not gone away but is ¼ of what it was. My BP went from High to normal. My IBS has gone away. When you read books like Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes you start to see that the High Carb low fat was nothing but a scam that has always been questioned but pushed by just a few. I’m just starting this book today so I’m not saying you are wrong about the book, I’m just pointing out that there is a lot of good facts about this book. I would recommend reading a few other books along with this like Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers? by Jimmy Moore & Eric C. Westman along with the Gary Taubes book I mentioned above before you make up your mind about a High Fat low Carb diet.